MHV AVR Tools - A WinAVR Replacement
deece — Sat, 05/11/2011 - 8:55am
We have built our own set of tools in a WinAVR-like layout suitable for use as a replacement. Please note that no guarantees as to fitness or suitability are being made. In particular,GCC 4.6.x has not been tested as extensively as GCC 4.4.x, so use our builds at your own risk.
For those building with AVR-Eclipse, a patch that teaches it about the new environment is available on the AVR Eclipse feature request tracker. To make life easier, I have a replacement jar available. Just copy it to eclipse/plugins after installing AVR-Eclipse.
Installing the Binary Package
Download and run the installer (.exe on Windows, or .runme on Linux & OSX) from the releases at the bottom of this page.
What is Included
The following packages (and their dependancies) are included in MHV AVR Tools.
- GCC 4.7.2
- BinUtils 2.22
- AVR LibC 1.8.0
Installing from Source
Install the MinGW development environment
- Download and install mingw-get-inst from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/, select all developer options
- Install the following components
mingw-get install msys-wget
mingw-get install msys-unzip
- Download and install Git for Windows
You will need to install the following utilities on your Linux installation in order to compile MHV AVR Tools
- g++ (gcc-c++)
OS X Lion Dependancies
Install XCode from the AppStore and then start Xcode and use Xcode->Preferences->Downloads to install component named "Command Line Tools". The tools will be in /usr/bin folder.
Patch the broken system headers with patches/osx-System-Library-Frameworks-IOKit.framework-Headers-usb-USB.h.patch
Build & Install MHV AVR Tools
- Clone the MHV AVR Tools git repository:
git clone http://git.makehackvoid.com/mhvavrtools.git
- Within your MinGW environment...
- cd to the mhvavrtools directory
- run fetch.sh to download the required sources
- run build.sh to compile the components
- run build-archive.sh to package the distributable (unix only)
- Support xmega microcontrollers
- Include MHVlib
- Add fixed-point support
You can view the changelog and source code online in our git repository.