[Makers] A Family Friendly Hackerspace

Tracey Smith-Jones tracey.smithjones at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:23:45 EST 2012

Accordingly, the group would actually be U16, not U18, since the rules and
regulations do not require people over the age of 16 to be accompanied by a
supervising adult. Also, the rules state that the child's attendance does
not attract a fee - only the supervising adult...but is this due to the
child just hanging out with their MHV member parent?...

If the child him or herself is a member and not the adult (only in a
supervisory capacity), a fee would still apply (although this is not
clearly stipulated in the rules and regulations).  As it  currently stands,
U16's can only be members via their parent/guardian signing up on their
behalf, even though they themselves may never intend to make, hack or void
anything!  Do we use the loop-hole in membership rules, or create a new one
to facilitate U16 members? Being under 16 they would have to get
parental/guardian's written/signed consent anyway. There may need to be
additional health and safety restrictions/limitations on tools/facility
usage also, although with parents/guardians and full members in attendance,
one would expect that common sense re. this would prevail.

Thoughts on this?